As Hurricane Matthew has now passed through some areas, relief efforts are kicking into high gear. United Airlines is offering its MileagePlus members the opportunity to earn bonus miles for donating to one of four charities aiding those affected.
- The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief and education inside the United States
- Airlink is a rapid-response humanitarian relief organization that links airlines with pre-qualified nonprofits.
- Americares is a non-profit disaster relief and global health organization providing immediate response to emergency medical needs and supporting long-term health care initiatives for people in the United States and around the world
- Operation USA is a non profit humanitarian organization dedicated to helping communities alleviate the effects of disaster, disease, and endemic poverty throughout the world by providing privately funded relief, reconstruction, humanitarian aid and development aid.
If you donate via the United Airlines link, you may earn bonus miles based on the amount of your donation:
- Donate $50–$99 and earn 250 bonus miles
- Donate $100–$249 and earn 500 bonus miles
- Donate $250 or more and earn 1,000 bonus miles
United will award up to five million bonus miles to MileagePlus members who donate and they will match up to $100,000 of customer donations. Note that because the donations are administered via CrowdRise, they will not count as United spending if you use your MileagePlus credit card to make a donation. The donation might, however, count as a charity donation if you have a card that gives a bonus for that category.
Note that the deadline to earn miles for your donation is October 21, 2016.